Monday, October 20, 2008

Word Wall. Dolch Word List.

I am starting something new this week...a word wall. Word walls are so popular among teachers and are a great way to introduce kids to new vocabulary. I decided that using a word wall would be a great way to introduce the Dolch words to both Marco and Isabella. Using SSRW is going well and they also incorporate sight words. But sometimes I think the pace is a little slow, so this can make up for that.

I am following the word wall from abcteach.com. They provide easy instructions and offer a week by week list of words and word wall activities. I will be mixing it up a bit since the kids can read many of the words on their list. We'll see how it goes. I'm organizing the words by using a little file box. I wrote the words on word strips (I'll be alternating colors each week), and then put the words into envelopes. I'll be printing out the activities at the beginning of each week.

Word wall activities include:
  • Writing words out when they are introduced.
  • Making new words (can becomes man, etc.)
  • Finding words that rhyme.
  • Using the word in a sentence.
  • Word search.
  • Build a word using Unifix cubes.
  • Test at the end of the week.
I'm hoping that using a word wall will create a fun new element in learning sight words.

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...