Friday, February 20, 2009

Planning a Lent Lapbook.

Ash Wednesday is fast approaching and I'm still wanting to do a Lent lapbook with the kids. I have made a list of what I'm thinking of putting in it; and with the help of Dinah Zike's Big Book of Books and Activities, I'm also listing what paper fold I'm planning on using (this is the over-planner in me!). I might add some things as we get into Lent and I might take some things away. But for the most part, I feel like I have enough to start off with.

Lenten Lapbook
  • What Is Lent? (hamburger fold)
  • Why Do We Celebrate Lent? (hamburger fold)
  • Mini Stations of the Cross booklet
  • Prayers (booklet)
  • Saints and Feast days. (envelope fold)
  • Examining Our Conscience (hamburger fold)
  • The 10 Commandments (layered look book)
  • Ways We Help Others (layered look book)
  • Corporal Acts of Mercy?? (layered look book)
Some activities that I have planned include the following:
  • Decorating a family altar
  • Make a crayon stained glass cross
  • Stations of the Cross
  • Make a banner
  • Make an alms box or jar
  • Lenten Cross
There is so much to do during Lent and I don't want to overwhelm the kids with any project or activity. This is just a brainstorm list I have gathered from my Lent books and resources. Now that the kids are getting older, I know that they are able to grasp so much more than when they were younger. I'm hoping that this is a starting point for us and I'll be busy preparing for our Lenten journey as a family. I'll make sure to post things as we complete them, along with resources.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Saxon's math books remain the best math curriculum for mastery of the basics of mathematics on the market today.

That holds true only if you are using the correct editions, and using the textbooks as John intended them to be used.

I have taught using John Saxon's math books from algebra 1/2 through calculus for more than a decade in a rural public high school, and I can asssure you that continually switching math curriculum prior to the sixth grade(Math 76)creates holes in the student's math basics.

Student's fail algebra because they never mastered fractions, percents and decimals. They fail calculus because they never mastered the concepts of algebra.

If you or your readers plan on contunuing to use John Saxon's math books, or if someone is planning on using them in the future, please take a moment and visit my website at www.usingsaxon.com before you purchase any Saxon math books.

Thanks.

Art Reed

A Real Pilgrimage said...

Hi Liz!

I was wondering if you have pictures of your lapbook. I would like to link to your post. Please let me know! Could you email me? xolivas(at)familiacatolica.org

Trisha said...

I would love a copy/picture of the lapbook. Could you please email me at trisha@dfwcatholic.org.
Blessings!

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...