Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday Fun Stuff.

Today I decided to prepare the kids for the 4th of July. We'll be doing our regular math and phonics in the morning and following that with patriotic readings and crafts. Here is our list. I'll post pictures of all completed projects.

Our reading list include books such as How to Bake an American Pie, The 4th of July Story, and The Story of America's Birthday.

I don't think the kids have any real idea of what 4th of July is or why we celebrate it. Hopefully by the end of the day, they'll have a clue! I think it helps to dedicate the day to doing all things 4th of July. And for tomorrow, the actual holiday, we can spend the day making patriotic food.

As for crafts, we are making a Catholic, patriotic triptych with the images of the Virgin Mary, an angel holding a flag and book that says "God Bless America," and an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This project (along with the images) are from the Teacher's Helper by Nippert & Co ARTWORKS. I purchased the 17 CD subscription at the IHM Catholic Conference. It is full of great Catholic artwork and projects. Super cute stuff!!

Also in our line of 4th of July crafts are some stars to decorate the room and a windsock. Tomorrow we'll be making some cupcakes and re-reading some of the books mentioned above. I also have some activities from Evan-Moore that include cut and glue puzzles, coloring, and balloon rockets. I'm also thinking about taking them to a 4th of July parade or doing some other patriotic outing.

Overall, I hope they have fun and learn a bit about the great country we live in!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...