Friday, March 5, 2010

More Math.

I guess I'm on a math roll as of lately. I've been trying to keep things fun around here and we needed a little break from the usual Saxon. We are still doing our regular math lessons from Saxon, but I've been mixing in a little of this and a little of that.

As I posted earlier, we have been reviewing and learning multiplication facts. Our multiplication lapbook was a great way to get Marco to review, but I know you can't just do a lapbook and expect success. So I've incorporated some other things to shake things up.

First of all, if you haven't heard of FlashMaster...you need to check it out! The FlashMaster is a $50 little computer that helps your child master his math facts. Overall, it's an electronic version of flashcards. You don't need to get fancy when teaching facts, but Marco likes using this and it's a great way to test and review.

Looking for something online? Try Multiplication.com! I found this website while perusing the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. Multiplication.com is a free website that helps kids learn their facts. With pre-tests, interactive games, evaluations, and resources...it's well worth a look!! If anything, the games are a great and fun way for kids to practice their facts. We really enjoy it!!

Lastly, another great website for learning math facts (not just multiplication) is KidsNumbers.com. This website is mostly math games but also offers a worksheet generator and a free 12 week foundations program that is supposed to help kids focus on math skills needed to succeed. I haven't personally tried the program, but the games are fun!

Hope I've helped some of you on your journey to make math a little more interesting and fun!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...