Thursday, July 2, 2009

Working on History.

This past week, I've been busy working on our history book list, activities, and schedule. At this time last year I made a list of all the recommended history books that were available at our library in order to avoid the headache of going down the list and checking if our library system even carried a book every week. It was a blessing as I knew exactly what to look for and could order the books and have them put on hold when I needed them.



Not only did I work on my book list for this year's middle ages study using the History Odyssey book recommendations, but I also added additional books from the Story of the World Activity Guide. We are really big on adding those extra books to our studies and I enjoy the time I get to spend with the kids reading. On top of creating my library book list, I also narrowed down the activities I would like to do each week for each lesson. I'm planning on making a big shopping trip to gather all our supplies before school starts. The last thing I want to do is have to go out to buy craft supplies with a newborn and 4 additional children! I want everything ready and at my fingertips!!


As for our history schedule...it is still a work in progress. I honestly don't know how this first semester is going to go with a new baby and all. I had planned on doing history twice a week, but am now leaning to doing it 3 times a week. I think I'll probably give it a trial run in August, taking into account that if I do it 3 times a week, one of the days we study history will have to be on the afternoon of our co-op day.

Overall, I think I feel really prepared for history. The unfortunate part of history is that there are so many books to read!! But I think it's not a bad problem to have!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...