Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First Day of School Traditions?

I have never had a first day of school tradition. We school year round, so the days just seem to blend into one another. This year, however, I thought it would be fun to do something special since I'll have 3 kids doing school at home.

A great thread for ideas is over at the WTM Boards. Moms mention everything from taking kids out to breakfast, to taking pictures along with heights and measurements. My favorite? Giving your kids a Schultute. This is a long German tradition in which students are given school cones. These cones can hold special treats and school supplies. You can read more about them here.

What a Schultute looks like!


After pondering, thinking, researching, and debating...I decided to make some Schultute for each one of the kids this year. What I will add to them, I'm not sure yet. But they will include some special treats and school supplies.

I also plan to take the kids school supply shopping. Every August, as we make our way into various office supply stores, there is the big stack of school supply lists neatly organized at the entrance to each store. I ALWAYS get asked by one of the kids what they are for and why we don't have one for our homeschool. Well, this year each kid is going to have their own school supply list. I know they are going to get a kick out of it!

Now the only problem is...when exactly is our "first day" of school????


**What traditions do you have? Feel free to leave a comment!!

2 comments:

Gae said...

Sounds like you are all ready and with lots of fun planned.
I have only just found your blog and I think it is well worth the visit.
God Bless

Michaela said...

We have done a Schulte for the first day of school. (Thanks for the reminder 8-)) I am such a last minute person that it's never decorated as cute as it could be. I better plan now. I *really* like your idea of making a supply list. I may do the same. One for each of my kiddoes, letting them search for the items on the store shelves.

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...