Friday, February 27, 2009

Science Kits and Preparing for a Rainy Day.

Sometimes, we just need a day off of regular studies and a day full of fun experiments. For those kind of days I like to raid our science box that I keep in our playroom. I usually buy science kits from places like TJ Maxx. Since I don't go there very often, I usually buy whatever kits that I don't have if I come across them. They also aren't very expensive, costing anywhere from $8.99 to $12.99 a kit. This is great saving given that many of these kits retail for $20 or more. You can find all these kit online as well, but the prices will be higher! Here are some of the science kits in our collection.

  • Space Travel
  • Magnetism (we have 2 different ones)
  • Vehicles
  • Electricity
  • Dino excavation
I also have some science activity bags that I made for those rainy days. These activity bags include a print out of directions and all the supplies needed for the experiment. I provided links to some of the activities. They are very easy and can usually be made with things found around the house.


I also have these books that always provide fun and easy experiments that tend to keep the kids busy and free from boredom!

If you want a great resource for science fun, you can also check out this awesome website from PBS. ZoomSci. This website features experiments from the PBS show "Zoom," which we loved until they stopped airing it in our area.

It's always handy to keep things easily accessible. I find that I'm constantly raiding our preschool bins, science bins, and arts & crafts bin. Luckily, I tend to keep them well stocked! But having them there avoids a LOT of the "I'm bored" syndrome. Hope you get some good ideas!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...