Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday.


This morning was a rush. A rush in that I had to get everyone ready, out the door, and at church by 9am. We attended morning Mass for Ash Wednesday and so began our Lenten journey. I love car rides with the kids, as it is a time where we always have great conversations and so much teaching takes place. Today's car ride to church and then back home was no different. We talked about Ash Wednesday, Lent, and what things we could do as a family together to prepare for Easter. Here were some ideas.

"I think we should not eat. What is that called again?" -Marco

"Let's go visit some poor people and feed them." -Anthony

"Maybe we can go and feed some animals. They get hungry too." -Isabella

"Let's give our money to other people." -Marco

Although so simple, I think the kids came up with terrific ideas!! Of course, after each suggestion we talked about how we could implement the idea and I explained why there are certain things we do during Lent (like fasting and abstaining from meat).

As for what we are giving up...that is the ultimate question that seems to drive me crazy every year. Not because I don't know what I'm going to "give up," but because I take that as a very personal thing between myself and God. I always do come up with something simple to share...like "I'm giving up TV...or chocolate." But the real thing, the hard thing, is always kept between me and God.

So...what are you giving up for Lent?? :)

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...