Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why I Homeschool.

I don't know where I first heard of homeschooling. I had never met anyone who was homeschooled or who had homeschooled their kids. All I know was that when Marco was born, I got this glorious idea that I could teach him at home. I never really revisited the thought until our move to North Carolina.

Marco was two going on three when I decided to do a little research. I checked out every book available in the library that had to do with homeschooling. I was amazed, in awe, and inspired! "I can do this," I thought. Since then I have never looked back.

Of course, there are so many different ways that one can approach homeschooling. You can do traditional, unschooling, unit studies, etc. I chose classical education. Not only did it make perfect sense to me, but it was exactly what DH and I agreed on. I won't go into details about what classical education is; there are so many websites and books dedicated to classical education, that I would do a great injustice in describing it.

Being Catholic was a little obstacle. I think Catholic schools are great and I fully support anyone who decides to send their kids to a Catholic school. In fact, our second line of defense is a Catholic school. But for the time being, I think the kids are getting their Catholic faith everyday at home and we try hard to exude it in everything we do. Our faith is just not taught during religion; it is a constant throughout the day. We try to make our Domestic Church one where it is easy to point out reminders of what we believe. This is so true of Catholic families everywhere!

So teaching our children with a Catholic, classical education is our goal. It is rigorous and even stressful at times...but always fun. We are truly blessed that we have this opportunity to educate our children at home. It has been one of the best decisions I have made for my children and our family!! Because to this day I have yet to know how we even came across the thought of homeschooling, I truly believe that it is all in God's will...and who am I, but his servant?

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...