Thursday, September 4, 2008

Faith Formation.

Last night was the beginning of the year for Faith Formation at our church. It was the first day for both me and Marco and we were excited! I am teaching 2nd grade this year for the first time and I had been so nervous! Marco, being the sweet little guy he is, assured me that I would do fine. "Mami, you are a great teacher! I think everyone is going to like you." Isn't he the sweetest?

Well, things did go well for both me and Marco! Before leaving the car, we said a little prayer together and then we headed in. Everything worked out well. My biggest fear was actually knowing what to do, what to say, and how to act in front of the kids in this setting. If anything, I felt completely unprepared. Scaring me more than anything was the fact that my aide didn't show up. But in the end, I think God heard my prayer and sent the Holy Spirit to guide me. My class went well and my fear dissipated within the first few minutes.

What I do regret not having, is a welcome letter for the parents. I came home that night and immediately wrote one up. I'm using last night as a jumping point for the beginning of the year. I know what to expect now and I'm feeling a lot better about knowing exactly what to prepare for! I did try to look for some examples of letters online, but had very little luck. Because of that, I'm posting my own up. Just in case there is someone out there feeling just how I felt. I'd love comments! These letters aren't going out until next Wednesday.

I hope the letter covers the basics! I also translated the letter for Spanish speaking parents.

************************************************************************************

Dear Parent of 2nd Grade Student:


It was a pleasure to meet you and your child last week at our first day of Faith Formation. I am excited to work alongside your family in teaching your child our Catholic faith. I will be using the issued Catholic guide each week for our lessons, as well as additional resources including videos, crafts, and fun activities. My goal this year is for your child to solidify a love for Jesus Christ as they get ready to encounter the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation. As a parent, you are the primary educator of your child, and the best teacher. It is my pleasure to be able to participate in the education of your child.


As many parents have asked, there will be a snack sign-up sheet available. Please feel free to sign up for a date in which you will be able to provide a store-bought snack for the class (approximately 13 students). I appreciate your participation and the kids will be looking forward to enjoying a treat!


Once again, thank you for participating in the Faith Formation program this year. Please feel free to stop by and ask any questions you might have or call me. I also ask that if your child is unable to attend a class to please contact me or the Faith Formation office in advance whenever possible so that your child’s absence may be excused. Since this is a sacramental year, 90% attendance is required.


Thank you.


**************************************************************************************************



No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...