Monday, June 2, 2008

Choosing Curriculum for a 3 year old.

I know. A 3 year old should not have a curriculum. They are young, they need to explore, play, discover, etc. But after taking a good look at what our schedule is going to look like this new school year, there is no way that Anthony is going to have free play time ALL DAY LONG. He needs a little more structure to his day and I feel like I need to start introducing him to the alphabet, math, and reading. Sitting in on our read alouds will also not be sufficient anymore, especially since we'll be moving on to more difficult and mature material.

The programs I'm considering are BFIAR (Before Five in a Row), Little Hands to Heaven, Little Saints, CHC Preschool, and Letter of the Week. I'm really not sure at this point, but I'm looking for something that is more literature based with some crafty components. I also can't dedicate all day to it, but rather an hour or so a few times a week. I think that would be more than enough for a gentle introduction to "school."

Considering I own BFIAR and CHC Preschool, I will be considering those first. I'm planning on sitting down tonight and looking them over again. BFIAR worked with Marco when he was little, so I might consider that again. CHC was not a good fit for us back then, but it might work now. I'm hoping that there will be a preview of Little Saints at the IHM Catholic Conference next week, since the program looks really attractive as well.

In all, I would like to *ideally* make a decision as soon as possible. Since we'll be starting on our new schedule next week (hopefully), I want to have something ready for Anthony to do so he can feel like he gets special time with me too. He also needs a little more order and discipline to his life. He functions so much better when we have our routine and schedule in place.

Any suggestions out there are welcome!!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...