Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Light World Geography Plan.

For the past year, the kids have been studying the continents of the world through our co-op. This was a wonderful introduction to world geography. With lapbooks, presentations, and even cooking; it was a fun year! This year I wasn't ready to move on to a study of the states, so I decided to continue with world geography, but moving the emphasis from continents to countries around the world.

Time is a huge factor for me, especially with a new baby on the way; so I wanted to make sure that our geography studies will be light, fun, and not time consuming. After looking around, I decided to use the bare bones of Galloping the Globe. Although this book can be used over a span of up to 3 years, I've opted not to use it so in-depth. With suggestions for activities, recipes, literature selections, and so much more....I can see how easy it would be to spend a whole month studying a country. This is not an option for me, so I am planning on doing one country a week.

A country a week for 5 days? Not even close! We'll be doing this only twice a week!!

Day 1: Maps, facts, geography

Day 2: Culture, saints, people, food (activities and extra reading books, as well)

That's it! Simple.

I'm aiming at spending 30-45 minutes MAX!! The last thing I'm going to need is my schedule being taken over with geography projects.

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...