Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Another Year of Faith Formation.

This year I'm back to teaching faith formation at our church. I'm a little nervous, as I'll be going into a 5th grade class, but confident that I'll be able to do well. Volunteering as a catechist is something that I never thought of doing; but when the "opportunity" presented itself, I thought it would be a wonderful way to share any talents I might have.

In the past, I was a 2nd grade catechist, which I really loved! Teaching kids during a sacramental year puts a little pressure on you, but the rewards are great. I've been spending the last week preparing and going over our lessons and we'll see how it goes!

For the time being, here is the parent's letter I'm sending home with the kids. I post it mostly because I'm always looking for a good letter and I can never find one. So hopefully, this will be able to help someone who is teaching faith formation (or CCD) at their church.


Letter to 5th Grade Parents of Faith Formation or CCD Students.
******************************************************************

Dear Parents:

It was a pleasure to meet your child at our first day of Faith Formation. I am excited to work alongside your family in teaching your child our Catholic faith. My goal this year is for your child to further cement the teachings of the Catholic Church, as well as developing a deeper love and understanding for Jesus Christ. We will be reviewing prayers learned in years past, as well as introducing and learning new prayers, including the Prayer to the Holy Spirit.

Our faith formation class is the only hour a week that I have with your child. It is a time when your child gathers with other children to concentrate on what it means to be a Catholic, a follower of Christ, and to learn what the church and gospels teach. It is my pleasure to be able to participate in the education of your child and I will be using the issued Catholic guide each week for our lessons, as well as involving them in prayer and faith-building activities.

As a parent, you are the primary educator of your child, and the best teacher. Your example at home speaks volumes and teaches your child far more than I ever could. I ask that you review each week’s lesson at home and share in any activity that your child may bring. Attending Mass and praying together (especially in the morning, before meals, and at bedtime) will solidify your child’s experiences as being part of a worshipping parish community and Catholic family.

Once again, thank you for participating in the Holy Family Faith Formation program this year. Please feel free to stop by and ask any questions you might have or call me. I also ask that if your child is unable to attend a class to please contact me or the Faith Formation office in advance whenever possible so that your child’s absence may be excused.

I look forward to working with you, and I appreciate your prayerful support.

******************************************************************************

I would love feedback!


2 comments:

Rosario said...

Thanks for sharing your letter to the parents. This year, I was given the opportunity to teach those children who already made their first communion but want to continue faith formation. It mainly 4th- 6th grade students. So far 9 children have sign up for the class. I will be making my letter in Spanish because most of the parents only know Spanish. Will be praying for a good year for both of us.

Liz said...

Rosario:
I have this same letter translated into Spanish if you would like to use it! Just let me know! I would be more than happy to email it you. :) lizimagination @ yahoo.com

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...