Monday, January 18, 2010

Homeschool Co-op!

Today was a homeschool co-op day. A busy day for me and the kids, but also one that we look forward to every week. You have probably read my posts about our wonderful co-op group, but if you haven't...I'm here to fill you in!!

This is our 3rd semester at Holy Family Homeschool Enrichment of the Triad. It was one year ago that I decided that my church would be a perfect place to host a Catholic homeschool group. After asking friends if they would be interested, we took the plunge and it has been a wonderful success!! Being part of this group has been such a blessing to our family and we can honestly say that all our members are pretty awesome!

Today was our second week of our winter/spring semester. I currently teach a preschool class using Before Five in a Row...with my own spin, of course! Our other preschool classes include music, bible/virtues, and playtime in our awesome nursery. My older kids are having a blast in their classes too. Latin, bell choir, hagiography (study of saints), science, and art are all favorites!

It's amazing how wonderful it is to be a part of a group of homeschoolers who have the same values as you do. It has become such an important support group! And from this little Catholic homeschool co-op, many wonderful things are coming into bloom. Our members are starting book studies for moms, book clubs for kids, a running club, and the amount of field trips and activities is abundant!! All these extra-curricular activities are also not just for our members, but open to all Catholic homeschoolers. I hate to brag, but we have a wonderful group of families among us!!

If you can't find a Catholic group that hosts a co-op, I highly suggest you start your own group! A great book to give you plenty of ideas is A Haystack Full of Needles, by Alice Gunther. It's not necessary to start big...just a simple weekly get together at someone's home is all you need to get started. If you want to explore my co-op's website, check it out! Holy Family Homeschool Enrichment of the Triad.

2 comments:

Carol Topp, CPA said...

Thanks for the comments about homeschool co-ops.
You are correct that there are many advantages to belonging to a homeschool co-op especially with like-minded people!

I hope your co-op continues to be a blessing to your family and other homeschool families.

I invite people interested in starting a co-op to visit my website and read a sample chapter from my book, Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them and Not Burn Out
at HomeschoolCo-ops.com

I think they will find it helpful for even a small start up co-op.

Carol Topp, CPA
Author of Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them and Not Burn Out
HomeschoolCPA.com

Liz said...

Thanks for posting!! I visited your website and wish I would have known about your book when I was starting up our own co-op!!

Liz

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...