Saturday, August 2, 2008

Centers.

I finally found a new spot for our centers! I originally had them on our flip chart, but I kept finding that it was more of a nuisance than a help. Having them there created such a big struggle with always trying to keep Anthony from taking them down. Now they are nicely hanging on a wall away from little hands. This gives me so much more control over who is going to be using what.

I really do like having these "take to your seat" activities available. It gives the kids something to do when they are waiting for their next lesson to begin. Lately, I tend to use them more for Isabella since Marco is requiring more one-on-one time. It keeps her busy and occupied without being bored. I explain to her what she needs to do and she can complete it independently.

Here are some of our centers. Shown are a number matching game, word family game, alphabet order game, counting by 10's & number order game, and vowels game.


Centers basically consist of file folder games and take to your seat activities. They allow the kids to learn and review a wide selection of skills and subjects. Since my kids are younger, the majority of my centers consist of math and reading. The grade range is mostly from pre-k to 2nd grade, but you can make centers for any age. Everything from learning the alphabet, number recognition, rhymes, colors & shapes, basic math skills, and word building are in my centers!

Most of my materials are made from using Evan-Moor products. They have GREAT resources! I recently also purchased some ready-made phonics file folder games from Carson-Dellosa. Centers are easy to make (although can be time consuming) with minimal supplies. All you need are:
  • Printer
  • Cardstock paper
  • Velcro
  • Laminator (highly recommended if you want your materials to last)
  • File folders, bags, manila envelopes (depends on what kind of center you are doing)
  • Scissors
  • Double sided tape
The good thing is that are plenty of free resources on the web to get you started. Some are better than others, but they all offer great ideas and plenty of freebies! Here are a few.

These are all great sites to get anyone started with centers!

No comments:

Cheers to Being Back!

It's been quite some time since I updated this little part of the blogosphere.  New adventures, new trials, and new seasons in life.  I&...